Why Science Over Art?

Art, as we discussed previously, is a form of expression. It is a representation of  emotions or feelings that we feel and it is not limited to only the visual form. We can react to certain sounds and movements by eliciting specific emotions and feelings. However, at its core, art is a form of communication. Some say that music has no language barrier and I agree with this because one of the most memorable songs in the world, My Heart Will Go On, is actually very recognizable in China even though it is sung in English. It is recognized as a romantic song in cultures that are very different with completely different customs and forms of expression. I actually feel that science is the same. It is also a form of communication that all cultures can recognize. Maxwell Planck’s constant is the same in Asia, Africa, Europe or America. Also Einstein’s E=mc^2 is equally recognizable in different sections of the world. Science, like certain forms of art, is an universal form of communication. They are both an attempt to replicate and explain phenomenon but differ in their forms of expressing it. Science lists them in laws and equations that one can instantly recognize while art elicit more subtle emotional responses. I feel this is where science and art diverages and why we prefer science over art in the attempt to understand nature.

To me art can be much more subjective. While some songs are recognizable across different cultures others can mean different things to different cultures. Even within a general population, art, such as abstract art, can mean very different things to different groups. I sometimes never recognize what the artist is trying to represent in art. People have different ways of interpreting so at times we can never truly say what a painting means.Time also has an effect on the way people consider what is art. Nowadays, building architecture is very much about a “clean” and “sharp” simple design that is more focused on being environmentally safe as oppose to times in the past when representing religious themes in as many statutes as one can fit on to a wall was considered important and pleasing.

Even though they are both forms of communicating an idea across cultures and generations, laws in science are designed to stand up to different interpretations and to hold true across different scenarios. Art does not have to. So we pick the way that best replicates nature in as many ways possible, which is science.

This entry was posted in 12/1 Assignment, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.