Where Brooklyn at?

The Brooklyn Bridge is fairly new to me. I have walked across many times in the past year, a fun but occasionally grueling task

This past summer I worked a paid internship at a media company based in Brooklyn so I became familiar with travel and the surroundings. Also, my mother works in Brooklyn now so I’ve driven over the bridge as well.

The Brooklyn Bridge is a very popular tourist spot. If I would have taken this photo midday or early afternoon there would have been a flock of tourists, but in the early morning it was desolate, sans some runners and biking commuters.

I think that in Hassam’s painting the people weren’t tourists as much as everyday pedestrians traveling, for free, across the bridge. Although winter time, 1892 was not the ost prosperous time. Hassam’s painting captures what is now a firm historical piece of New York (with no toll!) while incorporating the flurry poverty of the time.

One thought on “Where Brooklyn at?”

1. Dear Jemie,

Nice that you have connected the assignment to your own experience. However I would have liked to have heard also about the geometry and artistic perspective point for the artist. Try and clean your typos before posting.
    Great Picture.