Le Nozza Di Figaro Review

Upon entering the Metropolitan Opera the group I was with immediately got a ‘whiff’ of that air that the elite only get to breathe. We were awed by the posh landscape and wealthy ticket holders that were not us. Before entering the plaza with a fountain that preceded the Met’s entrance, we were in Manhattan. Once here however, a different setting engulfed us; we were amidst the ‘white collar’. Even our attendance to Broadway-when we went to see West Side Story- could not be compared to how out of place we felt at the premier of Le Nozza di Figaro. Enough about us, and more about me. I don’t know about the group I was with, but I truly felt socially ‘shorter’ there. Even past the opera doors where all the audience members independent of color, race, social class, etc. are belittled to merely spectators of this great art, I felt inferior. No one could tell, but within me I was in great awe. I was truly amazed at the performance. Everyone else around me-those who typically attend the opening night of Metropolitan Opera- seemed almost indifferent. I even heard booing once the entire cast came out for their curtain call.

In high school I acted, sang, and danced in all four annual performances within the four years of my being there. I was convinced that the art of theatre was a lost one, and that its value over time had been depreciated. I was right. I could not say that I was truly bothered by any of it. My own memories of being on stage and the amount of work it took made me appreciate and become inspired by the incredible talent before me. Whatever I was once did, was nearly 1/100th of what these performers do every night. Whenever there was an intermission in the four acts of the opera, I overheard people talking. I give my respect to those who commended, but to those who complained about it because of time I endow my pity. After the midpoint intermission I was flabbergasted at how many people left, and even at one person who fell asleep. Perhaps its just me who would not want this audience if I were in the limelight or my sensitivity to performers, but this show was one that I would not forget. Although I preferred Figaro’s performance to Susanna’s I could not call any of it bland. Even Cherubino was able to tickle the funny bone of all of us at least once throughout the Opera! Even if this is the only reason you enjoyed it-because of Cherubino- it gives you at least one reason to not boo. What stood out the most to me was the conductor and his orchestra, which he lead beautifully. Dynamics and rhythm variations made enhanced the comedy, seriousness, and playfulness of the scenes. Overall, the music and actors made the show. I left only feeling inspired and wishing those around me could value what I just saw.

One thought on “Le Nozza Di Figaro Review”

1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feeling with us. It has been inspiring for me to hear you think. Let us talk in class of the social divide created by Opera goers and the difficulty of keeping this art form alive. If you have a chance please join me to one of the backstage tours of the opera to see the work involved in setting the stage and the 3 buildings dedicated to constructing such a show.