Justin Lees Trio at The Garage Review

The Garage (99 7th St) has nightly free jazz performances.

The “Justin Lees Trio” consisted of Rudy (drums), Justin, (double bass) and Michael (hollow-body guitar). The atmosphere of the venue was perfect- the music was right next to the bar and the dim lighting created a very mellow and comfortable atmosphere.

The music was upbeat, but not flashy or eccentric- just perfect for the mood of the crowd and bar. Though not an expert on jazz i fee confident enough to say the band played with a blues style, and perhaps even a sort of swing as well. The drummer mostly tapped the symbols, though he kept it splashy (for lack of a more fitting word). The guitar was done beautifully- the hollow-body guitar was a perfect choice provided a deep and bright blues tone. Most impressive was Justin on the double bass. I am not sure if this is typical or atypical of a jazz performance but he was the centerpiece to me. His hands moved so quick and the rhythms were so engaging. When he took the baseline for a walk he took you along with him through all the highs and lows. He had a few solos and they were masterful and the feeling with which he played was palpable.

Since this is a review and i am supposed to be a journalist i must offer one piece of criticism- the bass, while played beautifully, was too quiet, and while it may have been fine for the regular playing, a bit louder would have made a big difference for the solos.

I would definitely recommend this performance to a friend- the band was very listenable and even a novice like myself was immensely engaged. The lighthearted mood and low key atmosphere make it an ideal place to meet a friend, drink, dine, and listen to wonderful music.

One thought on “Justin Lees Trio at The Garage Review”