Juilliard Jazz Orchestra Review

I have never had the pleasure of viewing a live jazz performance. The closest I got to them were depictions of big bands in movies and TV shows that borrowed them for “prom night” segments. But those didn’t prepare me for the performance that the Juilliard Jazz Orchestra gave on October 7th.

The night was in tribute to the work of Count Basie, one of the most prominent leaders in the genre of jazz. While listening to his music I felt myself sinking into my chair and becoming relaxed in the laid-back melodies and steady rhythms of the band. I was amazed at how in sync they were as a unit; no note or tune felt like it shouldn’t have been played.

I can’t say that I had a favorite song, but I did find myself appreciating the songs’ attention to details: the silence of the band for a few moments while a clarinet played or the harmony of two trumpets. Each song had its own intricate styling, and while it sometimes sounded like improvisation it never felt out of place.

What I liked most (and least expected) about the performance was the amount of solos. I’m used to musicals and dance numbers that usually only allow a select few of its members to shine in the limelight while the rest of the company (and the music they perform to) fall in the background. But the orchestra gave the musicians a chance to showcase their abilities, and it was a great opportunity to actually hear the Juilliard students’ passion and dedication to their preferred instrument of choice.

Overall, my night with the Juilliard Jazz Orchestra was one that cannot be duplicated. I appreciated the enthusiasm of the conductor, the students, and the legend Frank Wess (though he needed support to get on stage, his energetic saxophone-playing had me questioning his age [87?? Really??]). I’ve come to respect and appreciate the genre of jazz even more than I already did.

One thought on “Juilliard Jazz Orchestra Review”

1. Glad you posted. You might have seen Frank Wess photograph at the Jazz museum, or have heard the lecture by his student, The executive director of the museum, who also was one of the teachers at Julliard, not long ago. It was a rare night indeed. As to the solos, these are mostly improvised, which makes the players’ interaction a very unique experience.