Punk Rock Exhibit

While I enjoyed the visit to the Punk Rock exhibit at the MoMa, it was not something I would go to again. The exhibit seemed out of place and chaotic, over-packed and confusing. As we have talked about it in class, the exhibit itself belongs not in the pristine white walls of MoMa, but rather in a grungy place that would give the exhibit a more appropriate atmosphere. Even though the exhibition space was orderly, the exhibit itself confused me. I felt bombarded with music, headphones, videos, photographs, newspapers, clippings, art and collages from all sides.  I could not focus on one piece alone. The music was a good, and essential part of the exhibit, because how can one display a certain musical movement without giving the visitor an idea of what the style sounded like? Also, some of the things displayed had too much detail or information in them, like the large collage or the newspaper clippings posted together. While they were interesting pieces, I either found myself looking at the collage as a whole and not reading into the details or getting lost in trying to read or look at every photo and article in the collage. The end result of the latter is that I ended up looking at only 1/10 of the piece, was no longer interested in reading anything else, and never saw the overall picture of the collage. Maybe the chaos and bombardment of various elements in the exhibit was meant to represent the music itself, but this was not my kind of exhibit. While it was informative, I prefer MoMa’s other exhibits to this one.

One thought on “Punk Rock Exhibit”

1. How would you improve the curative experience? would the map we created be helpful in centering the viewer interest on locations? Could dressing the walls to create a set up of a garage be inspiring?