Julliard Jazz

Listening to Julliard Jazz was by far one of the liveliest experiences I have had in very long time. I have heard jazz music before but have never attended a live performance until now.

Improvisation is one of the essential elements of any jazz performance. With solos flying left and right from the ensemble, all of the improvisation pieces were superb. Just by looking at the musicians, you could easily tell that the music had truly swept them away off into another world. The music flowed through each musician and allowed them to play whatever came to mind, enabling the beautiful solos heard. With some musicians closing their eyes, tapping their feet, or snapping their fingers, they were all absorbed by the music, and the audience was brought along for the splendid ride. Each solo was unique and vibrant. Even Frank Wess, a frail, 87 year-old, had come to life when he played, especially during his solos. My favorite solos were from the pianist, who played with a strong rhythm that could easily be absorbed. Frank Wess’ solos were dazzling as well. Such emphasis is placed on these solos because they result solely from what the musician was feeling at that given moment during the performance. These improvisation solos make the performance heard at Julliard Jazz one-of-a-kind (literally).

The musicianship as a whole was also phenomenal. No mistakes were made during playing and everything seemed to be in perfect harmony. Even the song that Frank Wess had introduced to the ensemble, which was only rehearsed for two days, was phenomenal. Out of all the songs, my two favorites were “Tickle Toe,” and “Freckle Face.” Both of these songs had uplifting beats and were a pleasure to listen to. Brandon Lee, despite his young age, did a marvelous job of conducting this passionate group of musicians. The Julliard Jazz Ensemble was one of the best live groups I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. Count Basie would have been proud.