The Public Housing Crisis

Until I read this assignment I was not aware of the severity of the NYC housing crisis. The fact that 55% of all rental households in 2012 were rent burdened, (spending more than 30% of their household income on rent), and the number of homeless people has more than doubled since 2000 is disturbing (Housing New York). While this problem is obvious, the solution is much more complicated. America’s capitalist economy pushes people, (apartment owners), to raise prices when demand increases. Many renters do not make enough money to afford these buildings. The number of renters who cannot afford the ridiculously high prices has steadily increased calling for a demand in more affordable housing, whether it be housing projects, rent controlled apartments, and/or vouchers.

I do not hate housing projects as I feel some people do. I know that they provide homes for many people who would either be living in worse apartments or on the street. I am aware of the serious issues that many projects face. Due to mismanagement, lack of funding, etc. they are often rundown and dangerous. Housing projects are not a solution to the bigger problem of income inequality and the widening gap between the rich and the poor. I do not believe that the answer lies in building more projects for the reasons stated above, but mostly because New York lacks the money and space to do so.

I do like the idea of rent control. Not only is it a way for lower income families to live in safer neighborhoods, but also it keeps gentrification at bay. If the residents of a neighborhood have rent controlled apartments, and wealthier people move to the neighborhood, it is less likely that the previous residents will be driven out entirely. The idea that all new buildings should be required to have a certain number of their apartments rent controlled is a good one. If there was some way to require already established buildings to do the same there would instantly be more affordable apartments.

One thought on “The Public Housing Crisis

• February 3, 2016 at 11:18 pm
    Permalink

Logan, your post makes excellent points that accurately depict the causes and dimensions of the “affordable housing crisis” in New York City. You touch on one of the key issues–not just creation of new “affordable” apartments, but preservation of existing apartments at affordable rent levels. How to convince builders? They point to incredibly high costs of buying land and paying construction workers, and they have become used to subsidies.
    Professor Zukin