Logan Frazier- Housing Exhibit Response

My favorite housing project that I saw was Hunter’s Point South. This instantly caught my eye as it was one of the large photos on the wall before you entered the room and I remembered that I had actually seen it in person recently. I remember looking at the building and thinking how modern it looked; the little red rectangles at the bottom of the windows was something that I have never seen before. The view is also spectacular. The building is located right on the waterfront overlooking Manhattan. Hunter’s Point South is my favorite for aesthetic reasons as it was one of the cleanest and most modern looking of the projects on display, especially when compared to the rundown projects of the 1970s. However, Hunter’s Point South only provides affordable rent-stabilized apartments to a mix of low and moderate incomes. From what I could find the lowest income eligible was $23,623 for a studio. There is also the possibility that I am interpreting this incorrectly and they allow vouchers but I couldn’t find any mention of this information.

One thought on “Logan Frazier- Housing Exhibit Response

• February 7, 2016 at 5:53 pm
    Permalink

Very astute comment, Logan, especially when you separate analysis of the aesthetics of the design and condition of the buildings from analysis of who gets access to the apartments.

Professor Zukin

Reply