Tech in NYC

This week’s readings focused on the globalization of technology and it’s future in the urban environment. As I was reading, I realized that I was a techno-pessimist. The New York that i began to imagine was an elitist city where only those who are rich and wealthy with “ideas” were able to reside. I read mention of how India relied on its cities for its advancement. How there was no need to tip a barista because a phd holder was in effect the cause for the barista’s higher wage. There was no mention of how high the living expenses are in a city compared to a small town. How despite higher minimum wage, there are still undocumented immigrants working 14 hour days to make ands meet. The working class makes up a large portion of the population, the author portrays a city which progressively becomes more populated with richer and more educated people. I went to work today with this on my mind and I realized that my job could be done by a computer, people could order food through an app, the food could be packaged and delivered without one human hand thrown into the mix. This could happen at any restaurant and people like me could be put out of a job. This is what the working class has to look forward too.

I would like to be a techno-optimist. I hope to one day be rich and be able to afford a house in the city. I love that so many things have been automated and my phone makes my life a million times easier. However, I have to think about people like my parents who have come to this country to seek “opportunity” and to think that another door will be shut in their face is infuriating. If technology is to advance in this city it should benefit everyone, not just those with “higher” education and wealth. I realize that these people are a key factor in any type of advancement but another key factor is the consumer and if the consumer cannot afford the product than the product will fail.

One thought on “Tech in NYC

• March 13, 2016 at 8:56 pm
    Permalink

Natalia, I wrote a comment the week this post was due, but it seems to have disappeared from the website. So let me repeat: you make an excellent analysis of the forms of inequality that are both created and sustained in an “innovation economy.” Keep thinking critically!

Reply