Silicon City and Civic Hall

After visiting “Silicon City”, I have to say I am impressed by the richness and the history of technology in New York. One of the exhibits that stood out to me was the media machine. Through that exhibit, I found out a lot of the Hollywood CGIs and Photoshop began in New York. For example, the beginning of Pixar’s “Toy Story” began in New York and “Toy Story” had always been one of my favorite movies. In a way, finding out that a lot of the technology that we are using or seeing today began in New York gave me a sense of pride. The exhibit of the original computer from 1822 was very enlightening too. The original computer was massive in size and as the years past, innovators were able to reduce that size but increase the information a computer can store. Honestly, I felt humble being able to visit “Silicon City” because all these inventions were the works of thousands of people for hundreds of years. The phones we are holding today aren’t just simple devices; they contain hundred years of history of improvements and transformations.

Civic Hall was an interesting visit too. I liked the idea that there are people who have ideas that can benefit the public and that technology can help solidify those ideas. Benefit Kitchen was such a great idea and I would totally use it. The one worry I have is that these cyber cites will accumulate a lot of information from the input information of the public. What will these information be used for? Is there a possibility these data will be sold or get acquired by the government? Is there a danger to this? If a person inputs information into the website and isn’t eligible for any benefits, what will then be their next step? How will this website be advertised to the public? I also wonder how this will work out for the people who aren’t technology savvy. Are there other options besides inputting the information online?

Another topic that was brought up was the technology company working along with the government. If the government proposes a project that the technology company itself doesn’t agree with, does the company have the power to reject the government especially if the government is subsidizing the company? During this discussion, it reminded me of the whole debate with Apple VS the FBI. Apple is a public company so they were able to argue against the FBI and bring the case to the Federal Court. But what can companies that are supported by the government do? Will they be able to bring the case up to the federal court at all? Are there options for these government subsidized tech companies to say no in the risk of losing funding from the government?

One thought on “Silicon City and Civic Hall

• March 22, 2016 at 4:47 pm
    Permalink

Jenny, these are excellent questions and observations! I like your appreciation of the history of technology that is embedded in each “artifact” or machine. We rarely think about that when we enjoy a movie or use a cell phone. And I agree with your questions about who controls the data–these are serious questions.