Thoughts on “Silicon City” and Civic Hall

The “Silicon City” exhibition and Civic Hall are definitely connected. I learned quite a bit from both about technology’s role in our lives. “Silicon City” showed the evolution of technology and made me really notice how my MacBook Air is almost an entirely different machine than the first computer. The only real similarity is they can both solve math problems. The video games also stood out to me. “Tennis for Two” is simplistic; the only components being a dial to control the movement of a green ball over the line representing the net. The difference between “Tennis for Two”, which came out in 1958 and “Space Invaders” which was released in 1978 is astounding. Not only do the pixels form distinct aliens but the game has components such as levels and extra lives. In the course of twenty years, even technology which is not really needed progressed quickly.

Civic Hall should have its own display in the exhibit. Civic Hall uses current technologies to create new technologies to solve problems and improve the quality of life overall. From what I learned from the presentation and reading the website, Benefit Kitchen seems to be an excellent app. Not only will this improve quality of life for people who should be receiving federal aid but it helps us move towards government transparency. Continuing in this same trend, 18F works with government agencies to create cheaper and better tools and services. Their ‘open sourcing’ means the code is available for everyone to replicate and create their own version specific to their needs.

I like the idea of CivicTech as I stated in my previous posts. However, I think people’s motives are not always so pure. The speakers, minus the woman who created Benefit Kitchen, work for Microsoft. No matter how much freedom you are given, if you work for a paying corporation you have to deliver a product that they will like. This product may not be the most beneficial to our society. The technologies themselves may be beneficial to people but the result of an increased focus on the innovation industry has been disastrous. Many people can no longer afford to live in Silicon Valley due to the incredibly high rent prices caused by the many people wanting to get involved in the industry. This same problem is now occurring in New York with a similar effect.

I wonder if as more apps like Benefit Kitchen are created, more people will answer “yes” when the website asks if you are homeless.

One thought on “Thoughts on “Silicon City” and Civic Hall