Sara Clemente

CAM04191Hello. I’m Sara Leonor Clemente. I would like to major in Spanish, concentrating on the Literature and Culture aspects rather than purely Language. Additionally, I plan on getting the Human Rights certificate. I also work at the Queens Central YW&YMHA as an afterschool counselor on weekdays.  A lot of the children that I work with are first generation Americans, much like myself so I always hear interesting stories from many of them.

I recently turned 19 years old, while vacationing in Panamá with some friends. I really love traveling and getting to know different people from various cultures, which is why I decided to take a trip to Panamá in the first place. I was born in Stamford, Connecticut in 1995. About a week after I was born my mom took me back to her natal city, Cuenca, in Ecuador, where I grew up until I was 6 years old. My mom originally came to the United States to visit a friend but later realized that she had more opportunities here than she did in Ecuador. So, she soon became the first and only member of our family to move from Ecuador and come to the United States. Since then I have lived in Jackson Heights, Queens. I went to IS145 and then Townsend Harris High School in Flushing.  Fortunately, I am quite in touch with my heritage and try to go to Ecuador every summer.