Ken’s Interviews

Kenneth interviewing Janice

Janice told me that she had been living in Hamilton Heights for 22 years, and her deep love for the neighborhood was apparent when she spoke about it. Her eyes lit up and had wild hand motions throughout explain where everything was in the neighborhood, she listed: her favorite places to eat, the bank she goes to, and pointed out where her church used to be, and where it is now. When I asked Janice what trends or changes she has noticed in the area recently, without hesitation she replied that there is more diversity in the people living in the area. She talked about how she used to see only one kind of people walking the neighborhood(I assumed blacks/Spanish but I did not want to lead her into talking about gentrification by mentioning it) but now she is seeing new faces every day. I asked her the implications of the change, whether she liked it or preferred the old way. After reflecting for a moment she nodded her head and simply said “I like it more now.” I asked her to explain why she liked the changes and she said, “Well there are new people, new businesses and new opportunities for people living here every day!” She clarified giving a anecdote she used to think the entire area was commercially dead, ‘the business graveyard’ she said some used to refer to the area, but now more banks, restaurants, and businesses in general are moving into the area. Janice went on to explain that she raised her children in the neighborhood and watched the community grow alongside her children. She said that every day she feels safer, happier, and  “The mood is changing, for the better”

Janice’s interview reflects the more positive aspects of gentrification. A major point that I took away from the conversation was the more opportunities. With more businesses in the area, there will be more money in the local economy, allowing for more employment, less crime and all implications that go with higher incomes. Another interesting point was how she mentioned her church moved, I asked her if she knew the reason, but she said the church did not give a clear reason. Janice was very passionate about the neighborhood and I let her know I was honored to speak to such a dedicated and caring member of the community.

Kenneth interviewing a Police Officer

He began by saying when he was a rookie and first received his assignment he was apprehensive because he had preconceived bias on Harlem as a whole. Once he actually started to patrol the area he learned that the members of the community really care for one another and look out for everyone’s best interests. The community watch in Hamilton Heights is quite vigilant and always keep the police updated on the area. Josh asked him if he has noticed any trends in crime recently; after a moment of thought, he replied, “It’s funny that you mention that because I was just talking to my friend who works on the lower side for Manhattan about this and told him about how crime rate is really dropping significantly in the area. The amount of misdemeanors is still pretty high, but there are much fewer big crimes like felonies being committed.” I followed up by asking him if gangs were a present problem in the area which he responded by saying that there are gangs still around, not as bad as they once were, but nonetheless there.

The implications of what the police officer told me were pretty obvious. The gentrification of the area was reducing crime rate, but the community has always been there. Throughout his time working the area the Hamilton Heights community watch has been helping actively to prevent and disrupt any crime being committed. The officer mentioned the fact that gangs were still in the area but the amount of gang violence has significantly dropped in recent years.