BioBlitz reflection and introduction!

Hi! My name is Kisa Schell. I’m planning on majoring in bilingual childhood education (Spanish and English). Eventually, I hope to become an elementary school teacher in lower income neighborhoods.

My expectations for the class are to learn about how science and technology are an integral part of our lives in New York City. Additionally, I want to learn about how the sciences influence other subjects. Specifically, I am interested in how science and education interact and I believe that learning about science education will benefit me in the future as a general elementary education teacher.

During the BioBlitz, my team and I went into Central Park and surveyed the environment for lichen. Lichen, which are a combination of algae and fungi, covers many of the trees and rocks in Central Park. We looked for which types were present throughout our zone, specifically yellow and grey lichen (physcia millegrana). We also learned about various fungi and the difference between fungi and lichen. Our task was important because we helped take a census on the types of lichen present in Central Park. Because lichen only exists in certain habitats, the absence or presence of various lichen help scientists to understand how the environment has changed over time.

I was fortunate enough to speak with my group leader, a PhD student who majors in the study of lichen at the CUNY graduate center. Unfortunately, I can’t remember her name, but she was very kind and intelligent. I learned that she lives in the Bronx, works at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, wants a Norwegian Elkhound, and studies lichen because she finds it interesting. She volunteered for BioBlitz to fulfill one of her requirements, as well as for the opportunity to study lichen in Central Park.

Although waking up for my 5am shift was the hardest thing I have done all summer, BioBlitz is an important activity because it helps scientists to better understand how Central Park is changing. This then benefits us, the citizens of New York City, because the information is used to maintain homeostasis in the delicate ecosystem that is Central Park, conserving it for future generations to enjoy.

What I got out of my experience was a newfound appreciation for those who contribute to the conservation of Central Park. It is one of the greatest destinations in our city and will continue to be so for many generations to come, thanks to the tireless efforts of scientists, conservationists, and Central Park employees. So the next time you take a stroll through the park, be proud of the role you played in such a unique opportunity.

One thought on “BioBlitz reflection and introduction!

1. Thanks for your reflection Kisa! Do you look at Central Park (or other parks) differently now that you’ve had the BioBlitz experience? I hope that you will take away from this course the importance of the people connection to science as you pursue your elementary education career! We need elementary teachers to be science savvy :).