95% Solution Reflection

John Falk and Lynn Dierking’s article titled “The 95% Solution” seeks to provide insight into the idea that science is not a concept that can solely be learned in the classroom. In fact, according to the article, “Average Americans spend less than 5 percent of their life in classrooms, and an ever-growing body of evidence demonstrates that most science is learned outside of school” (1). I have to admit that when I first read this article, I was surprised to learn that Americans gain most of their scientific knowledge outside of an academic setting. After all, most parents consider it a priority to send their kids to school so that they can be properly educated and prepared for graduate school.

However, after pondering the idea of a “free choice learning experience”, I came to realize the truth behind this phrase. I have known that I wanted to become a doctor my whole life, but that decision was never based on anything I had learned in school. I decided to choose a career in the medical field because science and the world around us is something that has always interested me. I still remember watching documentaries on the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet with my dad when I was younger, and I recall bombarding him with scientific questions that even he could not answer. It was then that I decided to do research on my own and learn about the science behind what makes us who we are.

While I believe that school is a crucial and necessary component of every person’s life, I agree whole-heartedly with the idea that kids learn more when they are given the chance to conduct research on their own and have a hands-on approach in doing whatever interests them. When kids are introduced to certain subjects in a way that makes them fun and appealing, they are more likely to find interest in that subject and pursue it further on in their lives. The passion and zeal that comes from learning something new in a fun and interesting manner is something that can never be compared to how students approach certain subjects in school. When kids are younger, they pursue certain topics that are interesting and enjoyable to them, and most kids often tend to make a career out of whatever interests them. However, when kids get older, they begin learning and studying certain topics only to do well on tests and forget the material later on. Education that is rooted in interest and enjoyment stays with a person even after he or she does not necessarily have to remember the material.