Surrounded by Science Chapter 2 Reflection

One thing I learned from reading Chapter 2 of “Surrounded by Science” is that science isn’t only for scientists. Anyone and everyone is able to take part in science learning. In fact, different perspectives are very valuable in the scientific world since they are shaped by the “different cultural values scientists bring with them” (20). I really liked this idea of how easily accessible science is by anyone who is interested in it, especially because this ultimately promotes the symbiotic relationship between science and the individual. Science gives us the ability to learn something new, something perhaps we can relate to ourselves, or something we can relate to what we see, hear, taste, smell, or touch. Science is the explanation to our questions; it satisfies our curiosity and thirst for knowledge. On the other hand, by participating in science learning, we are able to contribute to science. Our observations and data help promote new discoveries and contribute to the better understanding of science itself. Project FeederWatch is an excellent example of how “citizen scientists” were able to participate in a scientific activity that they enjoyed—in this case, birdwatching—while collecting significant data about birds that was able to make contributions to the field of ornithology.

I could relate to every single strand that was discussed in this chapter. As a hopeful future doctor, I find myself applying all six strands both in formal and informal environments. Whether it’s studying the process of digestion or researching why sounds in the minor key make us sad and sounds in the major key make us happy, I’m going through the process of science learning.