Reflection: “Surrounded By Science” Chapter 3 – 10.2.13

After reading Chapter 3 of Surrounded by Science, the first thought in my mind was:

Formal science learning is like DC Comics’ movies.

DC Comics has a myriad of superheroes.  These superheroes fill many different roles, run the gamut as far as powers go, and many of them have strong – or at least decent – fan bases.  Yet when it comes time for DC to make movies, they keep pouring their money into the same two projects: Batman and Superman.  Even with their newer ventures – the upcoming Flash adaptation and the rumoured Justice League – DC remains faithful to superheroes who are more popular and more easily written with Batman and Superman.

Formal science learning is DC Comics.  There are so many approached to learning that have data to support their success, yet formal science learning keeps using the same formulas and book learning year after year.  Formal science learning is afraid to take chances; it sticks to its versions of Superman and Batman to give the public.

This weary cycle is why I prefer informal science learning, which is willing to take chances, engage the public, and try untraditional or less popular types of education.  For example, The Mind exhibit at the Exploratorium sound like a fun exhibit; I want to go test the limits of my brain with new technologies.  The exhibit – as well as the Cell Lab and the  St. Louise Science Center group – enable participants to have “challenging but not frustrating” (pp. 48) experiences without forcing people to learn from books or formal classrooms; rather, the actual experience is given a go, which encourage the learning strands.  Allowing people to interact through various modes of learning (interactivity and  multiple modes being key to supporting learning) is different from the lecture hall or textbook lessons.  Informal science is involving people, hoping to teach citizens through their activities.  And according to the textbook, it seems to be working.  This is why Formal science learning should take more risks; students could have higher success rates in science if they use the strategies for supporting learning (pp. 41).  (And DC might make more money and fans if they were to make a Wonder Woman film… but I digress.)

Speaking of the strategies, the one that surprised me the most was juxtaposition.  Bringing prior knowledge wasn’t surprising, but the fact that it plays such a large role in determining the way in which people approach things did surprise me.  Also, the idea of including a sort of “fun fact” about the topic is a method I’ve experienced before but never thought about.  I love hearing little tidbits of information and then researching further into the information… if the subject interests me, of course.