Chapter Four Reflection

“In another study, Margaret Haefner and Ellen Wartella, both researchers in communications studies, found that older siblings could help their younger brothers and sisters understand plot elements in educational programming. Through explanations and laughter, ‘older children did influence the younger children’s general evaluations of the program characters.’ Even though these studies were not on science programming, their results suggest that active engagement during viewing could have a positive impact for science learning as well.” – page 65

I am the youngest of three siblings, with a significant age gap between all of us. There is 11 years between me and my older brother, and six years between my sister and me. I have always felt that my position in my family has had a lot to do with my interests and academic development. The fact is, that by the time I was learning to speak, I was surrounded by my older siblings and their friends, and wanted to be like them and understand them and their vocabulary. I watched their tv shows, and played their games, and read their books. At the dinner table, I wanted to know what they learned in school, and understand it. My brother read the first Harry Potter book to me in first grade. I still remember my sister’s fifth grade science project on the difference between baking soda and baking powder. By being a part of my siblings lives and conversations, I wanted and needed to keep up.

Chapter four addresses the importance of conversation on informal science. Researchers record conversations taking place to see what people are learning and interested in. I think that’s really brilliant, and can show exactly what people are curious about. The dialogue between child and adult is interesting, but I think the conversations between and older and younger child can really tell you what that younger child is thinking. I look back at my childhood and realize so much of what I did and learned and enjoyed learning about came from the things that I spoke about with my older siblings.