Art and Science

I really enjoyed the article on the “Brainbow.” I found it to be written in a very interesting, engaging, and thought provoking manner. After reading these two articles, I found it very strange that art  isn’t such a part of science education. If the two have such a strong connection to each other, then why isn’t art a constant participant in the way we learn about and understand science? But, maybe it is. When one mixes certain chemicals that combine to create a new color or one looks at the magnificence of a plant cell or DNA- is that not art in and of itself? Regardless, I think that art should play a stronger role in science education, whether formally or informally. This allows for the child or student that is more creatively inclined to also enjoy the more mathematical side that is very much present in science. Connection to art is much more open and abstract and so many have a connection to some aspect of art, be it dance, music, or paint. And, then, via this connection, they can then find themselves a connection to science. And, they can use their art connection to comprehend and express their scientific understanding. In grade 11, we used a math program to create “sine art”. The various graphs of different “sine” numbers in different colors created a beautiful display. And, in grade 9, we had to use algebraic equations and graph paper to create a picture (lines, parabolas, circles, etc.) In this manner, math became “fun” and even those who hated math found a connection and a manner in which they can enjoy certain aspects and concepts of math. In the same way, art can be applied to the various fields of science in a very important, participatory, and beneficial manner.