Jamaica Bay

It was interesting to read just how much religion, culture, and the natural environment interact with each other. At first glance, one may not think that there is such a strong connection. However, the report went through a number of religions/cultures and all seem to have at least one ritual or custom that involves the natural environment, primarily that of the water. It is important for people to be able to practice their religion freely and properly. However, this poses a challenge. Sometimes, the rituals can cause harm to the environment or to the organisms living in it. And, it’s difficult for environmentalists to deal with the issue, in a way that does not disrespect the community. As the report offered, there are many solutions and ways to deal with the conflict in a respectful and beneficial manner to both the members of the community and the animals which live in the area. I know that in my neighborhood, the park asks people not to feed the fish/geese. And so, when my family goes to do Tashlich, we say the prayers by the water, without throwing in pieces of bread (which is an added custom and not an integral part to the ritual). Additionally, I recall waking up early a few years back to recite Birchat HaChama, over the sun. It was a really beautiful and inspirational experience. I didn’t ever think of it in the lens of science, but this reading really made me think how so many of the customs I observe have a connection with the natural world. And, this realization gives me more of a reason, appreciation, and an importance to preserving and maintaining the natural world and environment that I live in and benefit from in a myriad of ways.