SBS- Chapter 7 Reflection- Jennifer Mikhli

Jennifer Mikhli

Professor Adams

10/31/13

Chapter seven in Surrounded by Science brought an important point to the foreground, as it linked up the issue of cultural diversity with informal learning environments. It illustrated the importance of recognizing various cultures in the facilitation of learning amongst those who do not belong to dominant groups. This is a vital notion to consider as we traverse the field of informal science learning. Until now, we have examined the importance of informal science learning and its ability to expose the adolescence to new scientific concepts. However, while this may be so, and while informal science learning opportunities have the potential to equalize scientific education amongst various economic groups in our society, there is a fundamental ingredient that is lacking. A quote that sums up this lacking component goes as follows: “simply exposing individuals to the same learning environments may not result in equity, because the environments themselves are designed using the lens of the dominant culture” (120).  While all ethnic groups have access to institutions of informal science learning, there will be a disconnect in this experience due to the lack of these exhibits catering to the needs of these various cultures. For instance, such factors include the lack of diverse staff and content that is not available multi-linguistically. Thus, while there may be a myriad of exciting new facts to be learned on behalf of everyone, only select groups are able to consume the information. Translating exhibit labels and program content to various languages has the ultimate capability of fostering conversation amongst several generations, thus enhancing learning. This ties back to our previous discussion pertaining to the importance of social interaction and conversation in informal learning environments. If the information is presented in one’s native language, then perhaps the parents accompanying this adolescent can ease the learning experience for the child. This would also encourage parents from non-dominant groups who have not in the past, to now venture out into these institutions of learning.

This particular link between culture and informal learning institutions got me thinking about my friends’ interactions with museums throughout their youth. While my parents had chauffeured me around form one museum to the next throughout my adolescence, my friends had not experienced the same. I believe this can be traced to the fact that my friends’ parents were thwarted from accessing these institutions because of the language barriers that were at play. While their children were proficient in the English language, they were not and thus going to such institutions must have been thought of as an intimidating and daunting experience. Thus, these rich learning experiences were denied to my friends, solely because of a lack of cultural tailoring on behalf of these places of learning.

I was pleased to note the progress currently began made to adjust this problem and bring equity back to these valuable resources.  While these adjustments are extensive and will be fiscally demanding, the payoff will be tremendous. There is a resounding hypothesis that informal science learning can finally be the equalizer in science learning amongst disparate economic circles; however, this cannot be realized if the aforementioned component continues to go missing. Essentially, much attention must be made towards making these informal learning environments culturally friendly and without cultural barriers.