Chapter 7 Reflection

In chapter seven of “Surrounded by Science”, the topic is equity in learning about science. For members of non-dominant cultures, places of learning, like museums and libraries, may not cater to them, and smaller demographics in general. Many people may not feel comfortable in these places, and therefore not take advantage of them. There are some very simple solutions, like adding signs in multiple languages, and creating exhibits that are hands on and interactive.

I definitely understand the need to ensure that different groups of society can enjoy a public learning center such as a museum. A museum is supposed to welcome in an audience that is excited to learn and provide the means for proper learning. But I wonder how adequate a picture this chapter is giving us.

I don’t mean to be a skeptic, but as a museum-goer in New York City, you can hear about a million and one languages being spoken in any museum in the city on any given day. Museums in NYC are tourist spots, and the lack of proper signage or specific exhibits created for one culture does not seem to inhibit people from all over the world enjoying their visits. I think this chapter was focusing on the minutiae, and not looking at the big picture. People from all over the world enjoy museums, even if the museum is not tailor made to their learning preferences. I think museums can be, and should be, places of learning regardless of the dominant culture. It is interesting to read about and to consider, but in practicality, I don’t think it is an issue.