NPS

I was astonished to find out how many New York neighborhoods, located in several boroughs and comprised of highly diverse inhabitants, surround the Jamaica Bay. I was even more astounded to read that some of the population in those neighborhoods uses the Bay and surrounding areas for religious ceremonies. Given the fact that immigration always happens in waves, it is not surprising that Irish and Italian families that settled around Jamaica Bay in the early last century, are now outnumbered by West and Asian Indians and Afro-Americans immigrated from Caribbean that moved to the area in large numbers at the end of last century. As a result of the population fabric change, the religious make-up of the area changed, as well. Roman Catholic churches of Irish and Italian immigrants are not that abundant anymore but Indian temples have appeared in the area. I knew about importance of water in Indian religion but it had never occurred to me that water-related rituals are happening on the shore of Jamaica Bay and, furthermore, create pollution issues due to religious offerings being washed to the shore. It was interesting to read how the government tries to keep the shored clean while not offending the religious feelings of the population – a very delicate subject. I was even more surprised to read about Voodoo practice on the Floyd Bennett field – so close to where I worked at the Aviator Sports Center. I expected this practice to exist only in books. As far as the pollution, it is not that much of an issue as the Indian religious offerings, but if it is live animals that are sacrificed, then it is a case where humans affect the wildlife population of the area.

Our area has had a large Jewish population for over a century which remains quite stable in numbers, so the Jewish religion is a big part of religious fabric in almost any neighborhood. I was surprised to read about Sukkot affecting the nature of Jamaica Bay because of the willow branches cut for Sukkas. Yes, it is a holiday that is meant to bring people closer to nature, but in my neighborhood, the Sukkas are made of steel and nylon, with bamboo mats used for a roof, bought at the store – very industrialized enterprise. As for the celebration in the temple, etrog and lulav are also bought at the store and no one brings willow branches. I was also surprised that the author had not mention Tashlich – a ceremony on the second day of Rosh Hashanah, when Jews go to the nearest body of water and drop pieces of bread into the water as symbols of the sins the abandon. I have seen it done in Central Park on the Coney Island Beach, so, I am pretty sure, it is done on the shore of the Jamaica Bay, as well. Maybe, it was not mentioned because it is only done once a year and, unlike the religious offerings of Hindu worshippers, the bread can be consumed by the animals and is biodegradable. In general, these chapters have raised an important question of human activities affecting the nature, even with something as ancient as religious practices.