Chapters 5 & 8 Surrounded by Science Reflection-Jennifer Mikhli

Chapter 5 in Surrounded by Science emphasizes the vital importance of cultivating interest in informal science settings. Interest works as a catalyst to drive what is being learnt by the participant and works to further engagement with the topic under study. The chapter mentions a particular framework that can be applied to museum exhibits that promotes interest and motivation. The model is comprised of six components: curiosity, confidence, challenge, control, play, and communication. These components are illustrated in the case study examining an exhibit entitled The Color Connection: Making Colored Lights. I particularly appreciated the second component of this framework that focuses on building up the visitors sense of confidence. As a result of the exhibit labels being written in an easy-to-read style, visitors experienced a sense of competence, inviting them to move on with the exhibit. I saw the vital importance of this component upon reflecting my visit to the informal science settings. I noticed that visitors of the Prospect Park Zoo tended to spend a relatively longer amount of time at each exhibit, in comparison to visitors at the New York Aquarium. I believe that this can be somewhat attributed to the difference in the content of the plaque labels amongst the two venues. While both were catered towards simple comprehension and a younger demographic, the plaques at the zoo were, on average, much shorter. The labels contained no more than two to three short sentences about the contents of the exhibit, while the aquarium boasted large paragraphs at times. These large paragraphs posed a sense of esotericism that disengaged participants, resulting in them quickly moving on to another exhibit. Visitors must have felt on some subconscious level that mastery of the exhibit could not be attained, compromising their competence and demotivating them. On the other hand, at the zoo, the young visitors, along with their parents and teachers, were able to quickly read the labels of the exhibits, and were not bogged down by an excessive amount of information. Parents were able to quickly glance over the information and develop a sufficient proficiency in that exhibit, motivating them to share their findings with their children and students. Ultimately, this simple comparison illustrates the vitality of building up visitor’s confidence and competence within each museum exhibit.

Chapter 8 of Surrounded by Science focuses on the learning stages throughout one’s life. In its discussion of learning that transpires throughout one’s youth, it promotes the development of community and school-based programs geared towards science learning. It notes that these programs pose positive effects on the attitudes that participants have towards science. Such a point is highlighted with the case study of girls exploring Yellowstone park. This program fostered and supported the girls’ interest in science learning. It provided them with a medium through which to engage in science learning, something not readily available to them. I feel however, an important point to consider in developing these out-of-school science-learning programs, is its separation from formal school activities. I believe that in order for these programs to be successful, it must not be tied into to any factors that could seemingly determine performance levels in school. In my high school, I attended an after school science-oriented program known as E2K. It emphasized critical thinking in science. We examined various math puzzles, performed various experiments, and seemed to be engaging in science in an informal way. However, my principal ran the program. This made it hard for me to approach this learning opportunity in the free-form and informal way that I had envisioned. I felt that my academic standing or grades were somehow tied up to my performance in those informal science activities. This sort of pressure therefore prevented me from obtaining a  full informal science experience, and truly developing an interest with the topics we examined. Therefore, I believe that informal out-of-school science programs should make sure to set clear boundaries between its activities and those of the formal  academic environment. This should be done in order to synthesize the most suitable environment for informal science learning; one that is stress-less, open, and exciting.