Communicating Science

It didn’t surprise me to read that people use their religious/ political beliefs and personal opinions to choose news sources and websites “whose outlooks match their own” (Nisbet & Mooney, “Framing Science” 56). This is especially easy now that much of the Internet is personalized for its users. Websites like Google and Facebook collect information based on the links we click on and the articles we read and information we type into the search bar, and auction that information to companies that place personalized ads strategically right under your nose to sell products they think you might be interested in based on what you seem to be interested in. Before I was consciously aware of this personalization, I was surprised and amazed to receive a postcard from my cable company advertising special cooking channels. I realized that I had been reading about French and Asian cooking and recipes on the Internet and that’s how Time Warner Cable thought it would be smart to inform me of their featured cooking channels. Internet activist Eli Parisier calls the asserts that personalization creates what he calls “filter bubbles” [after which his book on the subject is named] for Internet users—bubbles in which we only see what the Internet thinks we want to see based on our “clicks” and perceived interests. Two people can type the same subject into Google’s search bar and completely different search results can come up based on their interests and previous clicks. Filter bubbles allow us to find information about the findings we already believe in as described in Nisbet and Mooney’s piece. This, as Eli Parisier points out, is detrimental to learning: if we can’t and don’t see what’s outside of our little filer bubbles, how can we learn and understand things we don’t already know and how are we to consider other perspectives that challenge our own? We are in danger of becoming more and more insular with the technology that should give us access to an almost infinite amount of information and should broaden our range of knowledge and interests. Sitting in filter bubbles that select  scientific information that already fits our opinion keeps us from learning more about different perspectives and research and further convinces us of the existence or non-existence of global warming or evolution or genetically modified foods.