Reflection on chapter 3

Ilanit Zada

Science and Technology in NYC

The book entitled Surrounded by Science by Fenichel and Schweingruber goes into the third chapter with a continuing emphasis placed on the importance of informal environments in sparking an interest and allowing for further education in a specific area. In chapter three, these ideas are taken a step further; the authors discuss the benefits of different exhibits in a museum and whether the different levels of engagement can affect how much of the information from that exhibit is retained (and perhaps studied further). Fenichel and Schweingruber state that “it appears, too, that providing opportunities for active engagement draws more people to an exhibit” (42). I agree with this statement; I do believe that by providing interactive activities for children will spark a (newfound) interest in the topic.

This statement reminded me of my childhood visits to the museums. Walking around such a large building with only a limited amount of time, forced us students to make the educated decision of which exhibits to spend our time on and which to either look at for a short amount of time or disregard completely. I remember that the most important determining factor and the one thing my friends and I were looking for was whether or not there was any activity for us to do at that exhibit. We were instantly drawn to those that demanded active engagement; we did not want to simply read something boring, but rather we wanted to take part in it and see how it all worked. I even remember that after many of these trips I would share what I took part in with my family and discuss that topic with them, surprising them with how much information I had remembered. It is almost a guarantee that many other students and children visiting museums experience the same thing reiterating the importance of active engagement and how that can help further our education.