SbS Chapter 3 Reflection

I found it very interesting that the six strands are really far-reaching. It was interesting to see how the stands of learning are met so accurately in the informal science settings of both the museum exhibits and the longterm programs.

My little sister is part of a girls program in our neighborhood.  Girls her age meet up at someone’s house on Saturday afternoon for some snacks and games. Then, every so often, there are bigger activities/trips for the girls that participate in this program from all the age groups and neighborhoods. One of the activities this past year was a science program on Sunday afternoon. The girls watched the instructor handle dry ice and watched pennies chatter. They then got to do some science of their own and make goo and bouncy balls. My sister told me all about the processes to make the toys in a very animated manner. Even now, almost a year later, she will still bring up how fun and funny it was to participate and to watch the pennies “shiver.” Additionally, I remember being part of a Sunday Science Program when I was in grade four. We learned about the role your nose plays in tasting food. I came home and was so excited to have my other family members try it out.

I believe that informal science programs tend to give children more excitement and interest in science. When one becomes personally involved by engaging with science, they feel a sense of ownership and pride in the experiment they worked with and in science as a whole.