Reflection for Chapter 4

The chapter highlights the benefits of interaction and communication during the science learning process. It describes how interaction helps learners spark their curiosity in the field (Strand 1) and also helps learners engage in scientific activities and learning practices (Strand 5). But I think that the strands are much more intertwined in the social aspect of science learning. Communication and mediation plays a crucial role in bolstering a learner’s understanding of science and prolonging their interest in the topic.

The conversations that take place in exhibits also prove very useful to designers of informal science learning spaces. For example in the Frogs exhibition, the researchers grouped the different dialogue into five categories: perceptual, conceptual, connecting, strategic, and affective. By analyzing these conversations, they were able to develop a sense of what engaged the participants and how they interacted with the exhibits. It underscored the role of explanation in enhancing the science learning experience, especially for youngsters who received mentoring from knowledgeable adults.

The parent and child relationship in informal science institutions such as museums was also very interesting. The parents always tried to make the experience as meaningful as possible by actively engaging in the learning. Based on the data that many groups collected, higher degrees of adult guidance in museums proved very valuable to younger children, but it is also crucial to not have parents overstep the boundary. The learning should revolve around the child, they should feel challenged by the roles they take on, and sometimes the parents become too involved which proves detrimental to the children.

Our experience in BioBlitz, like in other citizen-science projects, benefited greatly from the interaction with mentors who are experts in their field. Our guide, James, led us through the process of bird watching – teaching us valuable skills and facts, and also maintaining our interest in the activity. Without that relationship, we wouldn’t really know what to do and would have learned much less because we didn’t have someone guiding us through the experience.

This summer was the first time I have worked in an organometallic research lab and was thankfully paired with a mentor to guide me through learning the necessary techniques. He taught me the skills that I needed to be able to work on different experiments and showed me the tips he picked up on through his own experiences. I could have learned some of these lab techniques by reading many lab manuals extensively, but having him there to reinforce the concepts I read and visually show me what to do was very helpful.

The most important point of the chapter is to encourage adults, mentors, and parents to strive to provide support and guidance during their children’s informal science learning stages. This will maximize the benefit of the experience and provide more successful results.

Being able to learn from one another, and engaging with other people through conversation makes the process more meaningful and leads to greater understanding.