Reflection on Art and Science- Jennifer Mikhli

Both of the articles seek to ascertain a link between the evolving forces of science and art. “The Art of the Brain,” by Ashley Taylor, attempts to distinguish the differences between the fields of science and art, leading to her conclusion that the two are hard to separate. She notices that both art and science follow a prescribed method that can differ from one scientist and one artist to the next. Both art and science also appreciate the complexity of the things for which they are concentrated on. While the author’s focus of differentiating the two is an interesting take on the fields, the second article, I felt, truly portrayed the relationship between art and science as I see it.

The second article entitled “Art as a Way of Knowing,” by Marina McDougall explores the interdependence of science and art. It discusses the ways in which art has allowed for the evolution of science to unfold. This happens because of the similarities lurking amongst art and science. Both allow for the interaction with the world through the asking of questions, and developing a deeper understanding of a topic. More specifically, art allows for science learning as it is “effective at engaging and distilling complex and dynamic problems,” and it “enchants and invites participation”(7). Art also allows for synthesis and it engages all of the senses of the learner. This approach to the connectivity of art and science really struck me as I tapped into my memory of witnessing the two fields intertwined.

I remember glancing through a field journal of an electrical engineer and being amazed at the elaborate sketches confined in the notebook. It surprised me as to the artistic know-how needed in order to participate in such a deeply scientific field. However, in order for him to articulate the design of the new prototype, an intricate sketch was needed to allow for the translation of his thoughtful design into a material product. During my biology classes as well, we were required to glance under a microscope and sketch the images that we were seeing. Although this was in a classroom, this represented the ways in which real biologists communicated their view of specimens to their fellows. Art, in both cases allowed for the dissemination and spread of new scientific knowledge. And even before the scientific learning can take place, art is used as a tool to enchant and engage the learner. The hand-crated planters displayed in the Midwood community gardens perfectly illustrated this idea as the bright colors were meant to catch the attention of the young children, encouraging them to learn about the various planting mechanisms that were housed in the planters. Ultimately, when trying to encourage creativity in a field of science, art is used to lure in prospective learners, causing them to tap into their wells of inquiry and perception.