Tango and La Boca

Right before going to the Tango show, some of us wanted to go to the bank. Went to use an ATM, and my dad had warned me at home how foreign ATMs swallow your card until you finish your transaction. I was totally ready for that, but then it literally ate it. I never got it out, never got my money. I was so scared, but then realized that there are other ways to get money. It was a headache to have to talk to the guards to see what I could do because they really had no way to help. I didn’t even do the talking- Christina did, and I am so thankful she helped me out with it. Afterwards, we went back to the hotel ( we were already a bit late) and we (mainly Christina) asked the front desk if I could use the phone to make an international call for free because of the emergency and they were very helpful and willing to accommodate. The hospitality and friendliness of Argentines is very true. Seeing it in action has made me really appreciate what I read in the Lonely Planet’s Argentina Guide Book, because so far, everything they have written in there has helped me fill in voids that I missed because of the little time I had here, and has also supplemented what I have seen here, and has given me heads up to what to expect ( look at the next post about the buses). ( Go to http://www.lonelyplanet.com/argentina to learn more about Argentina).

Going to La Boca
We then hurried to take a taxi to the tango show in La Boca. We got there a few minutes late, but no worries. The building the show was in was nestled inside the extremely colorful neighborhood ( again, something Lonely Planet mentioned, and really came to life when I saw it with my own eyes) . Christina, Jaya and I shared a taxi ( we were going to try to be local and take a bus there, but after the ATM fiasco, split the taxi and ended up paying about 20 pesos, or $5.50 for a 15minute-ish ride.) We had to walk through many cute little outdoor cafes, and quite a few store owners were trying to convince us to watch their show, despite us saying we were going to another show. The town itself is quite geared towards tourists, but its European colorful vibe is something I am quite thankful I was able to enjoy while in Buenos Aires.

The main intersection in La Boca barrio, the most colorful neighborhood in Buenos Aires

The Tango Show
Inside the building, while waiting for the show, we were served pretty ok empanadas con carne.I got my first Argentine steak while in the country while the dancers danced some sensual and great tango routines. Instead of eating the steak with steak sauce, we had it with a sauce called chimmichurra (or something like that). Icecream afterwards was quite yummy, but not as good as the one I had at El Palacio. The show had many tango numbers and one or two other traditional dance numbers. It was a great way to get a taste of the culture, and has made me really want to take the tango classes that they will offer at the university later on.

Souvenir Shopping and Exploring La Boca
After the show, we went souvenir shopping and explored the many stores and sights in el barrio ( the neighborhood). Words really cannot begin to fully explain the beauty and intrigue of the town, so here are some pictures.

I bought a few magnets and leather goods, and also bought this special drinking gourd called Mate with the herb yerba. I don’t know much of it at all ( the only reason I know about it is because of the guide book and watching one of the world cup teams pass something like it during the world cup), but that was the closest thing to an ethnic vibe I could get infused in a souvenir item.

Published in: Buenos Aires, Uncategorized on December 31, 2010 at4:22 pm Comments (0)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/agrentinastudyabroad/2010/12/31/tango-and-la-boca/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.