Does Gentrification Actually Help the Poor?

Since this week’s readings are centered around possible positive outcomes of gentrification, I thought I’d look for an article that focuses on that as well.

A Business Insider article states that there is little evidence that actually points to gentrification being responsible for displacing the poor and minorities. It also talks about how gentrifiers make life better since “they put pressure on schools, the police and the city to improve.” Here’s my favorite line towards the end: “However annoying they may be, hipsters help the poor.”

We’ve talked about it in class through Alexis’ demos of Social Explorer, but there’s no single statistic that can measure the impact of gentrification. There are the more obvious ones–income breakdown and racial demographics for instance–but more factors may be in play that lead to changes in those statistics. This is why people can argue that there is little to no evidence that indicates gentrification is detrimental to low income citizens and minorities. It’s difficult to claim that gentrification is the sole source of displacing these groups of people.

Additionally, after a conversation with a group of people yesterday, the “positive” results of gentrification may end up overshadowing the negative effects of people getting displaced. One acquaintance who lives in Long Island said he doesn’t want to hear anymore about people saying that gentrification is a bad thing, because it’s brought all these Starbucks to his neighborhood and helped reform in his community (and thus, less crime). “And what’s so bad about that?” There were two other people in the group who immediately chimed in, “hello, people lose their homes?” In this case, I could see for myself that this was an attitude of, “if it (gentrification) doesn’t directly affect me in a negative way, then it’s a good thing.”

Source: Economist, The. “Gentrification Is Good for the Poor.” Business Insider. Business Insider, 21 Feb. 2015. Web. 22 Mar. 2017.