a macaulay honors seminar taught by prof. gaston alonso

ITF Post: update about Social Explorer workshop on March 5 link to reading + library access

Class on Tuesday, March 5, will include a workshop about using Social Explorer. To prep for this workshop, last week I asked everyone to read the demo project at my site and check if they had off-campus library access to Social Explorer.

In addition, please read this short article at Gothamist about possible changes to zoning laws in SoHo. In particular, pay attention to the following: the origins of the Loft Law, the current intentions for making the changes, and the people or parties who will be affected: “As City Considers A Potential Soho & Noho Rezoning, Original Loft Artists Push Back” by Elizabeth Kim at Gothamist

Finally, a brief check-in about everyone’s ability to access Social Explorer using off-campus library privileges. If you have access, then great! If you do not, read on.

I’ve already been contacted about receiving the message “You do not have permission” and if this is also you then email me! It would be helpful to include the following info in your email:

• Do you have off-campus access to other databases or is this problem specific to Social Explorer?
  • What message are you receiving?
  • Any other info that you think would be helpful.

Thank you!

Unrelated Extra Bonus Link

Gothamist, “New Yorkers’ Top 43 Fears,” 2015. Is your fear listed? Do we need to update this?