Like Sharon and Jacquie, I’ve also grown up in an Orthodox Jewish family. My mother was raised Modern Orthodox, and my father with no religion at all, and both eventually turned to the Orthodox Jewish lifestyle instead. Because of that, I was raised in an environment where I was always comfortable asking any sort of questions and with a tolerance for irreverence, and I was therefore sent to schools with the same ideals.

The school where I spent third grade through twelfth grade was the one large ultra-religious, all-girls school in my neighborhood, so they had no choice but to accept all kinds of students. I don’t know how much any of you know about Orthodox Jewry, but there are many divided sects that come into conflict elsewhere, and they all came together in my school. There was no real judgment there, not when we’d all grown up together. We had a strict uniform in school, but no one really minded when we were younger, and by the time high school came around, we’d all found ways to express ourselves through accessories and makeup (which was against the rules, but that stopped no one). I never really cared much, and it actually took me a long time to adjust to being in schools where I had to have a new outfit every day.

In elementary school, we had a double curriculum, in which we learned Jewish subjects (we called them “Hebrew classes”) and normal, secular subjects. In the mornings, we studied things like the Hebrew language, Bible classes, and Jewish laws. After lunch, we covered math, science, grammar, history, and all the other standard subjects. I developed a healthy love for all of it, whether Hebrew or English.

In junior high, things changed quite a bit. While before then, we’d only had two teachers- one for Hebrew classes, one for English- now, we were departmentalized with different teachers for different subjects. While before then, the teachers were viewed as distant authorities, no matter how “nice” they were, now we were encouraged to build relationships with our teachers. We joked around with them in class as we reached our teenage years; I guess that it was because we had decided that we were old enough now to carry on mature conversation with our teachers. Classes went more in depth and questions and philosophical discussion were as common as simple text-based lectures. We also put together many presentations and activities based on what we’d learned.

High school took this a step further. Most of my teachers were respected members of the community, and many took on a “mentor” role for students. There was a potpourri of teaching styles, as is common in any school, but we were generally encouraged to ask questions and we were given satisfactory answers. One thing my school did lack, though, was many options for English classes. We took the requirements and there were few classes beyond those, not including Advanced Placement courses. We were encouraged to go to college, but they wanted us to get through it as quickly as possible, so only non-Regents courses through which we could get college credit were offered. (I understand that the new principal has changed that, though, and there are now many other courses offered, but that was after my time.) I was fortunate- the principals encouraged me to skip several English classes and take all my twelfth grade courses a year early, so by the time that I was a senior, I was able to take only Advanced Placement courses, and permitted to take several extra ones on my own.

After high school, I spent a year abroad in Israel, in a Hebrew studies program that really emphasized introspection and individuality above academics, even though we did have a six-day week with more class time than ever before. That year really was about understanding myself and where I wanted to go with my life, and I probably learned more then than I did during any other school year.

Now, I’ve been in Brooklyn College for almost two years, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I love the variety of classes in particular- I’ve been able to take classes on everything from Japanese to counseling to Harry Potter! I do miss the Hebrew subjects, though, and I’ve encouraged my family to engage in absurd Bible trivia games at the Sabbath table so I can still enjoy them.

Interestingly, I think my enjoyment of certain subjects faded once I took them in school and turned fun into work. Now that I no longer study physics, the Bible, philosophy, or even math, I love discussing them and reading books about them during my downtime. Although there are some classes that have increased my interest in subjects (for example, I didn’t like philosophy or Harry Potter until I took class on them), I’m generally happiest when I’m learning on my own, via the internet or even a debate with my brother. And when I’m happy, I learn best.