Dean's Dinner: Politics, Civic Engagement & Technology

Dean’s Dinner: Politics, Civic Engagement & Technology

Technology is literally taking over the world, and for those who don’t understand it, you will be left in the dust of an old age. This was my general impression of the entire Dean’s Dinner,  featuring founder of Personal Democracy Media Andrew Rasiej, which took place on September 23, 2013 in the Macaulay Honor’s College lecture hall. Andrew Rasiej is an entrepreneur and technology strategist who has counseled political leaders, senior government officials, not-for-profit foundation heads, and academics in the United States and worked abroad on issues related to civic engagement, technology, transparency, digital diplomacy and campaign strategy.

Although I arrived half an hour late, I was able to participate in the majority of this rather enlightening discussion. Rasiej stressed the growing importance of internet availability for the entire population. He felt that with the rapid technological advancements occurring in our modern world, everyone needs access to the internet. Business transactions, banking, and homework assignments are among the numerous activities performed on the internet. In fact, if you don’t have access, it’s considered abnormal; I mean, who doesn’t have it these days?

One topic that really grasped my attention was Rasiej’s observation of how ignorant America’s government officials are, as a whole, when it concerns technology. You would think that as people in positions of power who determine the future of our country, that they would understand the functions of the many systems used in phones or on computers, but they do not. For example, Rasiej mentioned the Apple’s new mobile operating system iOS 7 that is now available. On the surface it presents an update on many existing apps offered on Apple’s products, but there are many other uses for the company that people aren’t aware of. A person’s conversations and contacts can be tracked and used as data. Ironically enough, if you attempt to research the system online, very little information is given other than the opinions of the users that aren’t completely favorable.

Towards the end of the discussion, I asked Rasiej a question concerning technology’s impact, or lack of impact, on the education system in America. I always felt that the use of technology in elementary, middle and high school wasn’t all that it was cut out to be. Compared to the speed at which change is occurring, our education is sorely behind and Rasiej confirmed my observation. He felt that the our current system is completely outdated (by 50 or 60 years) and needs to be revolutionized in order to meet the needs of society today. But people are reluctant to change, especially the old generation that grew up without the ubiquitous technology that is prevalent today.

After Rasiej’s departure I was left in awe and made painfully aware of how little I actually knew and understood when it concerned politics or technology. I’ll admit, I’ve never been a big fan of the fancy gadgets and technological concepts presented in our modern age, but I realized that my ignorance, my reluctance to conform to the changes that were taking place and just plain laziness on my part would make me unsuccessful in my future endeavors. There is much that I still need to learn and I don’t understand, but isn’t that what I’m in school for…