Dec 07 2009

Something old, Something new

Published by blah under Fela!

If I had to describe the production in terms of art; I’d say that it was like graffiti mixed with voodoo paintings. FELA was a fusion of modern and ancient. It was a splash of new color and sound, yet; it was surprisingly familiar. Yeah, we’ve all read about the Civil Rights Movement and how it change America. After a while we stop listening because it’s constantly shoved into history lessons and even English readings. FELA was different, it didn’t meekly offer lessons of black history; it was more of a punch in the face. And it felt good.

It’s been a long time since I actually become excited over history lessons. I did a little research on the production later and found out that the imitation of The Shrine is actually very close to the original. The actors and actresses were powerful and exotic. The music was familiar afrobeat with a hint of ancient chants and songs. It was nice that the audience actually got to participate; Fela (Sahr Ngaujah) pumped us up for the dancing and cheering. The projections and “shrine” paintings made it feel like the actual Shrine.

3 Responses to “Something old, Something new”

1.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 7:19 pm

I wish I actually got a chance to visit the real Shrine to know how accurate the depiction in the show was. Of us, only Prof. Davis knows what the Shrine actually looks like. Not fair.

2.   Nathaly Martinezon 10 Dec 2009 at 12:12 am

The Shrine was decorated with excellence. I could not believe how successfully they transformed the stage into a whole new world. It added to the performance and put the audience right where Fela was. The dancing, singing, and videos thus became more real.

3.   Alina Pavlovaon 09 Dec 2009 at 4:26 pm

i loved how everything we saw in the musical came SO close to how it was in real life. i think that was very important, especially since we were getting a history lesson. if we’re going to be taught, we may as well be taught accurately.
    and i think the reason you thought this civil rights movement lesson was interesting was because it was told through a person. it wasnt a textbook dictating to you, fela was showing you history through his eyes and his life.