Dec 10 2009

I Like To Move It, Move It

Published by Nguyen Chi under Fela!

Fela!

Rating: 5 stars

Reasons:

Ben Brantley was surprised when he saw no one swaying their hips or jumping up and down on the street after the audience left the “Fela!” On Broadway Performance. Well, I would like to tell Brandtley that he was watching “Fela!” on the wrong date because I was dancing all the way home after watching the musical. (This is a bit of an exaggeration.)

Brantley, like many other critics, gave “Fela!” a great rating, and compliments. Even though Brandtley did not think that Mr. Ngaujah, who plays Fela Kuti, has a strong “musical presence,” but still appraised him for being a “lucid story teller.” I, however, do not agree with Brandtley on this point. I believe that Mr. Ngaujah’s performance greatly resembles that of Fela Kuti when he performed at the Shrine in Haiti.

Side note: so last week, I saw the Fela! cast performing on the Stephen Colbert show and I thought I was in love. You should check it out at the Colbert Nation website.

11 Responses to “I Like To Move It, Move It”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 3:39 pm

Oh right, of course not. Who would do such a thing ;)?

2.   Sai Maon 12 Dec 2009 at 3:11 pm

This is an educational blog as Rhianna had said. We’re not trying to promote illegal activity here, are we?

3.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 2:57 pm

Why can’t you just download it illegally like a normal teenager Solana?

4.   solanaon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:49 pm

I would like a copy of it!

5.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 5:31 pm

“Do You Remember” by Jay Sean was the song I put in my IDC documentary. Do you want a copy? 😉

6.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 6:11 am

To Zerxis,

I definitely think that Ngaujah’s performance was outstanding. I don’t expect for him to sound or be as good as Fela Kuti. I think the important thing is that he gives of the feeling that Fela did when he was performing.

7.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 6:06 am

To Sai Ma,

I really appreciate your liking of my ratings!
    I thought it might be easier for people to glance at my post and know what I am talking about.

8.   Sai Maon 10 Dec 2009 at 8:24 pm

The production reminds me of the Jay Sean song that Rhianna played for her IDC presentation in that it really had a rhythm to it.

9.   Zerxis Presson 10 Dec 2009 at 8:19 pm

It is true Mr. Ngaujah may not have been as good a singer as he was a entertainer/performer. He stood out from the rest that evening, becuase of his entertaining performance.

10.   solanaon 10 Dec 2009 at 8:02 pm

I definitely agree that FELA! had everyone moving in their seats. There was no doubt that the rhythms from the band sent strong, energetic vibes to everyone in the audience.

11.   Sai Maon 10 Dec 2009 at 7:47 pm

I like how all of your blogs have official ratings on them, it really adds an authentic feel to these blog posts as actual reviews. I agree with you on how FELA! was electric and the atmosphere of the theater and production was so dynamic that we were tempted to swing our hips after the show was over.