Dec 11 2009

Funny Enthusiastic Lovable Activist = FELA!

Published by Rhianna Mohamed under Fela!

felaDSC08130

“Wow!” was my first reaction as I stepped foot into the Eugene O’Neill theater that night. The graffiti-designed shrine, the photos, the computer screens, and then finally… the band from New York’s magical city of Brooklyn, Antibalas. Afrobeat music, hips that don’t lie, and Fela Kutti (acted by Sahr Ngaujah and Kevin Mambo – alternating) are more than enough to get a crowd singing “Yeah, Yeahyaaaah.” Never did I imagine that the audience members would be standing up, dancing along with the Broadway production. It is for this action, for this fun, that William and Jada Pickett Smith and Jay Z have taken on roles as producers of FELA!
I had the best time at the theater that night – it was informative, thought-provoking, fun, and exciting. As I ran from 49th Street to Penn Station, all I repeated was “Yeah, Yeahyaaaah”.. I loved it and if given the chance, I’m sure I can learn the clock dance a little better. That’s the effect such a production has on a person. 🙂

9 Responses to “Funny Enthusiastic Lovable Activist = FELA!”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 2:19 pm

Abass is cool like that Rhianna. Don’t hate.

2.   Sai Maon 12 Dec 2009 at 12:38 am

His version of “So let me hear you say yeayea” is “authentic” for the 2009 version.

3.   Rhianna Mohamedon 12 Dec 2009 at 12:33 am

You guys are just super awesome for NOT reading my blog and commenting on the picture of Abass (apart from Sijia).

4.   solanaon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:48 pm

I think Abass got tickets to see FELA after we said he helped us with our video. And FELA was the best event out of all the ones we attended.

5.   Sijia Sunon 11 Dec 2009 at 10:50 pm

I did not know that there were two actors playing Fela alternatively. It makes perfect sense now. I was wondering for a while, how someone keep being so energetic for so long.

6.   Samanthaon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:09 pm

Abass wouldn’t care. If he actually got to see the performance I’m sure he would love to be Macaulay’s Fela.

7.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 7:12 pm

How long did it take you to make up that acronym? And we should show Abass what influence his role as Fela had on you :D.

8.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 5:29 pm

He is Macaulay’s FELA! hahahah

9.   Fabiana Sagreraon 11 Dec 2009 at 3:50 pm

This event was the one I enjoyed the most, there were so many elements put into it. It was a great surprise.
    and I hope there is a good explanation for the picture of Abass…