Dec 08 2009

Race.

Published by Alina Pavlova under Danny Senna

Looking at Danzy Senna, I would have never been able to tell that she is half-black.  And unless I read her story, I would have never believed anyone who told me so.  It was striking how beautiful she was.  But how nothing about her gave away the part of her that she considered her race to be.  After all, she did think of herself as African-American, rather than white.

Book CoverIt was this concept of race that dominated her life.  From a young age she was lost, trying to figure out who she was, where she belonged, and what she should consider herself.  The racial issue carried on in her life when she married a black man and people judged her interracial relationship.  Then it dragged on further when her child was born, and people were scrutinizing the baby, inquiring about its color, features, hair.  Why does someone skin color matter so much?

That is the point that Danny Senna was trying to make.  Come on, why would anyone ever be so critical of a baby? And moreover, why did it have to matter to me that Danzy Senna didnt look black?  She wasnt there to “look” a certain way.   My expectations didnt matter.  I was there to hear her read and to hear her tell the story.  The content matters.  Not the appearance.

We need to realize that we are all human, and it doesn’t matter what our hair is like or what nose shape we have.  We breathe, blink, and digest food in the same way.

Aside from her powerful message, and inspiring and oftentimes sad life story, I wasnt impressed by her.  By her as a person, yes.  But by her as a reader, no.  She lacked enthusiasm.  I didnt hear her voice come out as she was reading.  It was a bit monotone and bland.  I kept thinking about Joseph O’Connor’s reading and how captivating and energetic that was.  If only she put in a little more personality into her read, the whole event would have been a lot more enjoyable.

Interview with Senna.

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “Race.”

1.   Ason 13 Dec 2009 at 2:22 am

I dunno if I agree with you Rhianna, about her reading being worth me sitting in a corner to hear. O’Connor was good, there’s something about the way he read. But Senna was kind of awkward. However, her reading was much shorter than O’Connor, something which I greatly appreciated.

2.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 5:28 pm

Alina, you’re so right; she’s beautiful (not as if that’s the important part of your blog). I’m trying to get to the point where she seems beautiful through her memoir – so beautiful, that I would’ve been satisfied sitting in a corner listening to her voice (like I had to during O’Connor’s reading).

3.   Mary Prioloon 09 Dec 2009 at 7:52 am

I completely agree with you on the race part, who cares if she doesnt look black. Who cares if her child will grow an afro, who worrys about that, this is a baby were speaking of. However I dont think she was as mundane of a reader as you say, she wasnt the best either.