Dec 09 2009

Published by Mary Priolo under Danny Senna

Danzy Senna took a giant step when she wrote Where Did You Sleep Last night. She put forth all of her family’s issues in a hope that others would relate. I assume she didn’t have to hope because unfortunately what she experienced in her life is not all that uncommon. I must say I have tremendous respect for her because it is never easy to speak of personal struggles, and in my opinion, especially ones you didn’t create but were handed.
I felt that Danzy had much to offer to a great variety of people depending on how you could relate to her writing. I almost felt, as fellow students questioned her, that by the demeanor of the person asking the question you could tell who has something in their life to relate to her writing. To me that portrays a very powerful subject that was written and presented very well, able to connect with the audience where you can almost feel there reactions.
What I enjoyed most about this reading was that there was a sense of resolution. Even though what happened in the past can never be altered for Danzy she has a sense of resolution no matter how late it came. This is what gives her story its flavor that something so powerful and sad can end up okay.
images8

4 Responses to “”

1.   Ason 13 Dec 2009 at 2:15 am

A lot of the time acceptance of one’s situation is the best way to move forward. It hurts to be in denial, or not to face a problem, but the best way to overcome that really is to start by accepting oneself and one’s situation, as Senna said.

2.   Amrita Narineon 12 Dec 2009 at 1:46 am

She definitely had a lot to offer. She was both interesting, yet relate-able. I related to her with my family, because I personally think they can be just as crazy sometimes. Maybe not in such an overt manner, but we all have that bit of crazy somewhere.

3.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 5:25 pm

Sam, that’s the word we must focus on – “acceptance.” She said, that night, that she didn’t have the best relationship with her sister, but who can say they do with theirs? She accepted her life as it was, and tried to shape it around what her interests and needs were.

4.   Samanthaon 10 Dec 2009 at 2:34 am

You’re absolutely right, while she didn’t seem particularly content with the outcome of her investigation into the past, she did seem accepting, as if she achieved some form of self actualization.