Dec 09 2009

Pictures worth a thousand words

Published by blah under ICP Exhibit

There were three specific works that really intrigued me. The first was Pinar Yolacan’s photographs of elderly women wearing satin dresses laced with animal innards. When I first saw the pictures, I thought the innards were fake and that they were fabrics made to look like innards. It was not to be disgusted after finding out that they were real, bloody animal parts. The plaque next to the display described the project as a comparison between the qualities of the sheen on rich fabrics and the sheen on raw animal innards. The idea itself is so strange and the concept is a little difficult to understand, but the photos were still very graphic and they drew me in.

The second piece that I found interesting would have to be the video by Grace Ndirita. In the video, she is wearing a black velvet mask. She continually strokes the mask; the clip is a commentary on the vanity of “attaining the ideal image” and it’s titled Artificial Beauty. Most of the other viewers found it to be a little eerie. It quite appropriate because often those who had already reached their idea of “ideal beauty” can look plastic and cold.

The last piece has aesthetic beauty– the set of photos containing the Lacrimacorpus. The bodies of the creatures were made entirely of inflated latex and they were dressed in elegant clothing. The location of the shoot was Germany, a site that had celebrated Goethe and also became a Nazi concentration camp at different points in time. The name of the creature is means “tear” and “body”. The photos are both beautiful and melancholy.

5 Responses to “Pictures worth a thousand words”

1.   Jason Waton 11 Dec 2009 at 11:51 pm

I like your title. I could see so much with just one picture in the ICP.

2.   Samanthaon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:18 pm

The video by Grace Ndirita actually scared me when I first saw it and I didn’t really understand it, but reading your take on it makes me want to take a second look.

3.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 7:41 pm

I don’t remember that last piece, but I do remember the other two. Yolacan’s photos were shocking and daring. The second one was just really powerful, with the title adding to the effect of making us think about what “beauty” really means.

4.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 5:37 pm

Hey, I’m not sure if you went to the Macaulay Common Event (with photographer Neff).. If not, I can send you a link to his photos.. You’d be amazed by them, and their meticulous colorations/discolorations.

5.   Kay Mokon 10 Dec 2009 at 3:14 pm

Pinar Yolacan’s photographs of elderly women wearing satin dresses laced with animal innards were the first set of photographs that caught my eyes when I first arrived at ICP. The portraits really speak something different about each woman and their cultural backgrounds.