Dec 11 2009

Picture Me Doing Something Extraordinary

Published by Nguyen Chi under ICP Exhibit

ICP Exhibit

Rating: 5 stars

Reasons:

All of the photos are extraordinary in someway. Let’s look at three examples:

1) The first set of three photographs about African American women were so colorful and eye-popping that viewers can’t help but feel the subculture of African Americans, I’m guessing, in the 70’s and 8o’s.

2) The black and white images of the train conductors scream out RUSSIA, oppression, and monotony in ways that viewers don’t even have to look at the caption to understand their meaning.

3) The set of photographs with Afro-Brazilian women wearing animals body parts as decoration and accessories for their clothing. If these photos doesn’t surprise you as a viewer, I don’t know what will.

I especially like the idea that the museum is revolving around one theme–fashion. By looking at the individual artist’s work, I can hardly tell that he or she was focusing on fashion; however, to look at the exhibit as a whole, I can really see the cohesiveness of the theme coming together.

2 responses so far

2 Responses to “Picture Me Doing Something Extraordinary”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 2:50 pm

I loved the piece in your picture Chi. That section of the ICP exhibit was amazing, with furniture and objects being worn on humans. It was also next to the lightbox, which was really cool.

2.   Samanthaon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:25 pm

I agree that individually the exhibits seem to have nothing in common, but taking a step back and looking at the big picture was incredible. I loved how it didn’t focus on one country but the whole world, as you highlighted. It was beautiful.