Dec 11 2009

O’Connor: Writer. Irishman. Legend.

Published by Jensen Rong under Joseph O'Connor

The wonderful thing about audiobooks is that you get to hear your favorite authors read their own work in the way they intended to.  There is something about adding their own voice and emotions that create a new kind of dimension in the reading.

Luckily for us, we had O’Connor come in to read his own work.

I was a bit surprised about him coming in person, because I expected him to choose works that involve his Irish background, possibly about the laments and suffering his people faced in the Potato Famine or something.

He definitely chose to discuss New York with us for a reason.  I think he sort of understood that despite claiming to be world-class citizens, we are really holed up in our own city.  His discussion about his favorite rock singer and followed by a keen reading of his New York poem showed me what an interesting and well-rounded person he is in his writing.

Upon further research, he seems to be involved in more than poetry, he also penned the book The Secret Life of the Irish Male.  Yes, it has his touch of Irishness, but it shows that he also has a deft hand in writing prose and comedy.  Which is a definite cool factor in my book.

Talented people like him puts people like us to shame.

2 responses so far

2 Responses to “O’Connor: Writer. Irishman. Legend.”

1.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 7:44 pm

I never got why so many Irishmen have names beginning with “O’.” My English teacher sophomore year was a guy by the name of Steven O’Grady. He gave me hell for my lateness.

Sorry about the off-topicness as well :D.

2.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 5:43 pm

He doesn’t even look like O’Malley but O’Malley was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your post. Apologies for the off-topicness.