Sep 18 2012

Short Film Critique Part Two: Madame Tutli Putli

Published by under MORE

Before viewing the second short film, Madame Tutli Putli by Chris Lavis and Maciek Szczerbowski, my professor told us to keep an open mind.  She was definitely right in saying so.  This stop-motion film was done with puppets, but not just any ordinary puppets. The eyes of the main character were actual human eyes.  While I was first watching the film, I noticed Madame Tutli Putli’s eyes and how they looked so life-like, especially when she began to cry. At some points in the film, I actually forgot that the characters were puppets because they had such human-like qualities.  The train, where film was set, was also very authentic with its sound and movements.  It really makes the viewer appreciate the time and effort that goes into making the film.

Besides the technicalities I wasn’t able to take much else away from the film.  I’s not because I didn’t enjoy it.  The film was just very confusing.  I understood the symbolism of the butterfly throughout the film, and how it represented hope and transformation for Madame Tutli Putli.  But I don’t understand how the black market organ trading, the perverted passenger, and all the other strange occurrences fit into the story.  I know that everything put in short films is there for a reason, because the creator only has a little amount of time to get their idea across.  In this case, I’m not sure what idea the creators were trying to show, but I almost think that was the point; to confuse the audience and really make them think about the meaning behind the film.  I think that the creators want each viewer to take something different away from this film and come up with their own interpretation.  If this was their goal, then they definitely achieved it.

2 Responses to “Short Film Critique Part Two: Madame Tutli Putli”

1.   bmcintyreon 21 Dec 2012 at 5:28 pm

If Madame Tutli Putli was one thing confusing would be it without a doubt but to shed some light on what I got from the film was during the scene where she’s gazing out the window wondering whether to jump out and venture into the woods or stay on the train goes back to the notion of, “the evil you know vs. the evil you don’t.” As far the perverted passenger and the black market organ trading I think it was just an over-exaggeration of the hardships that come along with any major journey.

•   Stevie Borrelloon 21 Dec 2012 at 7:46 pm

I really like that concept of “the evil you know vs. the evil you don’t.” Wow Brian, I’m impressed that you’re actually being intuitive. But seriously, it is really interesting to look at it that way. It brings up the question that would you rather face the fears that you know will happen, or go off into the unknown and not know the evil that might be lurking around every corner? Really good insight.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS