Oct 17 2012

Bwakaw

Published by under Bwakaw

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dLmBfpk3g1c/UAlXm6m0YRI/AAAAAAAAJA8/kC4de9Ksg54/s1600/bwakaw.jpg

Companionship. Do any of us truly enjoy being alone ALL the time? Sure, sometimes we need some time for reflection, or perhaps some of us enjoy spending time in solitude more frequently, but we all need that “someone to lean on.” Throughout the film Bwakaw represents how important companionship is.

At the thought of losing the one friend he has, Rene takes action. He leaves his hatred for society aside and asks for help. He reaches out to the person he taunted throughout the film and that person ends up becoming not only crucial in demonstrating to the audience the complexity of Rene’s character, but also the importance of companionship. Sol, the previously taunted cab driver becomes his go to man. His only other friend. As soon as Sol suggests that perhaps Bwakaw is sick because Rene’s house is so run down, Rene immediately begins to renovate his home.

Jun Robles Lana’s focus on action to convey emotions is one style that he may use in future films. He doesn’t have to tell us that he loves his dog for us to come to this conclusion. He doesn’t have to state that the reason he begins to seek companionship with Sol is because he fears losing his beloved dog.

Thematically, he might focus on this idea of companionship, loneliness, death, and sexuality. These were all themes exposed in Bwakaw that may resurface in future films. They are all very realistic and relatable topics that can speak to many different people.

Returning to the idea of companionship, Bwakaw is both a comedy and a drama. The film shifts from a comedic beginning to dramatic end. Lana plays around with the idea that perhaps people don’t need companionship. In one scene, Rene hits his hair dresser with a blow dryer on the nose and makes (him/her? I’m still not sure) bleed. It was almost as if Lana was saying, “Hey, it’s okay to be alone, who cares if I’m making people angry, all I need is my dog.” At this point he really doesn’t need anyone in his life. Towards the end however when Bwakaw is diagnosed with cancer, the entire mood of the film shifts into a more serious and somber one. It develops the complexity of Rene as an individual and shows us what measures Rene is willing to take in order to keep his best friend alive.

Bwakaw in the beginning of the film represents exactly what it was meant to convey. An old man’s best friend. She symbolized the lack of need for contact with the outside world. Bwakaw was the center of Rene’s life and as long as she was trotting along by his side, everything and everyone else was irrelevant. As the film progressed, she grew to represent the complete opposite. “If she dies, whom will I turn to? Will I die alone?” seemed to be the unspoken questions echoing through Rene’s thoughts.  Bwakaw turns into a symbol for the need for support. A dog isn’t enough. Reaching out to others for help is okay. Interacting with society is crucial. Waiting to die is not what life if about. He seeks Sol’s help to renovate his home in the hopes of curing Bwakaw, he finally allows his neighbor to touch his Santo Entierro to cure her grandchild, those hairdressers he so fervently pushed away, become a support system in his time of need. The very last time we see Rene, he has unpacked the boxes full of things to give away after he died and decorates his room instead. Rene experiences an epiphany by the end of the film, and it wouldn’t have been possible without the development of Bwakaw’s symbolism.

This was an entertaining and heart wrenching film. Many things were incredibly predictable, and the acting wasn’t amazing but Lana successfully made his point through his focus on action rather than dialogue. He made me laugh, he made me want to cry, but most importantly he made me want to run home, hug my puppy, and make sure he didn’t have any bumps on his stomach.

One response so far

One Response to “Bwakaw”

1.   dfunderlichon 30 Oct 2012 at 11:00 am

I think you have a brilliant introduction to your film review! Your review is very well written and clearly expresses your opinion. I agree with you that it was a “entertaining and a heart wrenching film” I agree with you that Lana made his point through action instead of dialogue. I actually liked this new approach to portraying the plot. What elements of Lana’s film did you like the best? What could have Lana did to make the film better?

Trackback URI | Comments RSS