Nov 02 2012

The Scene With Greenspan

Published by under House/Divided

Perhaps, for some people, the different style and mixed media used took away from the authentic play feel of the performance, but in my opinion that is exactly what made it a performance. House/DividedĀ  was an eclectic and vibrant play that succeeded in weaving together multiple view points, pointing out the similarities between past and present, and accurately showing some problems we currently have in society.

The play showed the differing opinions of the financial situation from the rich and the poor by quickly shifting from past to present, from character to character, without so much as a gradual transition. The house kept moving as the times kept moving and the shift from silent to full-blown music added to the rise and fall the audience was meant to experience. At least, that’s what it did for me. I was excited then calm, bored then intensely focused.

https://www.facebook.com/BAMstage

There was one scene where I was completely enraptured and my attention was set. It was during the interrogation of Alan Greenspan by two authority figures. The way the actor portrayed his emotion, confusion, frustration, anger and lies was just so brilliantly done. Of course, the fact that his face was shot close-up and played in a large black and white screen overhead as he was playing the part added to the grand effect, but still, the acting and delivery of the lines was what made it truly great. It felt as if I was watching the real thing- I saw it from a witness’s point of view and also watched it as a film.

House/Divided was such a unique way of presenting a story. I wonder how other types of stories can be shown to an audience using the same multi-media methods. I applaud BAM for taking the risk of presenting such a project.

3 Responses to “The Scene With Greenspan”

1.   Cassie Luion 05 Nov 2012 at 6:34 pm

The scene with Alan Greenspan was my favorite part of the play. The fact that you saw all the emotion, the lies, and everything was just what really made me love the play. The fact that everything just seemed as if you were watching the actual event happen right before your eyes was what made me truly enjoy this play. I really appreciated the way the story was presented just like how you applauded them. I think because of the way it was presented helped get the emotions and reactions across that director intended.

2.   Thomas Seuberton 12 Nov 2012 at 7:11 pm

I thought the mixed media made it more of a performance also. Everything had to be timed perfectly. Think of the scene where the one actor’s face is projected on the screen, and he plays multiple roles in a matter of seconds. Just by changing the angle and putting on a pair of glasses it felt as if he were completely different people. That scene was the best in the film.

3.   Konstantin Dukhovnyyon 21 Dec 2012 at 3:37 pm

I was never bored watching the play. And Tom it’s a play not a movie. But that’s what makes it so much better. We actually couldn’t say that it was a simply a play because of everything that was going on. This is something that has to be seen live and the Greenspan scene really was great and a fitting ending.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS