Dec 08 2012

MOCA

http://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/drabik10website/iconic-immigration-sites/museum-of-chinese-in-america/

In the middle of the hustle and bustle of Chinatown, amongst vendors wanting to bargain with you left and right and the Chinese take-out stores on every corner, an institution that represents real Chinese culture and history in America stands. Its name? The Museum of Chinese in America, MOCA for short.

I stumbled upon this place once looking for a bubble tea house. It was one of the most rewarding impulse plans I have ever experienced. I mean, I knew that the Chinese liked the color red and that they had dragons everywhere, were one of the first Asian immigrants, ate rice all the time… I knew basic things. But walking into MOCA explained a lot more than I could tell you.

I thought that this visit was important and shows the genuine diversty in existence in New York City. Even United States in general. We are a country made up of immigrants and so I found it neat to have a place that shows not only about a certain culture, but its immigrant aspect and how the original culture evolved into the Chinese-American culture present today.

The exhibits feature Chinese comic artists, the evolution of Chinese restaurants, the origins of Chinese ghettos, the history of Chinese businesses in America such as laundromats and nail salons, the way America is seen through Chinese eyes, films and photographs by Chinese and of Chinese people and many more. Visiting the MOCA was educational but interesting at the same time. Even though I only have a very slight fraction of Chinese blood in me, I was able to engage in the exhibits and really get into it. I recommend that everyone visit MOCA in the near future.

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS