All posts by angiebeeman

Nicholas Arniotes, Project Idea

I have narrowed my ideas of neighborhoods to make a presentation about with the following:

1. Bensonhurst, Brooklyn: I am hoping to focus on the demographic changes in the neighborhood, the surge of immigration into the area, and tensions between ethnic and or racial groups.

2. Upper West Side, Manhattan: I am considering researching and discussing the following: the impact of the construction of Lincoln Center; the disparities in wealth and resources in the neighborhood; and how the neighborhood shaped up the way it is now structurally.

3. Coney Island, Brooklyn: Coney Island has changed a lot since its rise in popularity in the early 1900s.  Topics I may want to explore are the rise of commercialism and development in Coney Island (which gets rid of older businesses), the reasons why housing projects are widespread in the area, and the impact of Hurricane Sandy on businesses and residents.

Resources and Reminders

Don’t forget to sign up for tech fairs.  Please post your project ideas by the end of the week.

Here are some of the links I brought up in class:

Environmental facilities and cancer in NYC: https://apps.health.ny.gov/statistics/cancer/environmental_facilities/mapping/map/

Archives on Brooklyn and Slavery: http://pursuitoffreedom.org/

The Newest New Yorkers: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/census/nny.shtml

Also, here is a film that was just made about gentrification in Brooklyn: http://www.mybrooklynmovie.com/?page_id=4

I’ll upload some readings on environmental racism and NYC as well.

Project Ideas and Tech Fairs

It was great hearing about some of your neighborhood projects last week!  Some of you have really great ideas!  I thought it would be nice to start sharing ideas on the course website so that everyone can see what their classmates are thinking.  Amanda has added a sub-menu called “Project Ideas” to the category of “Presentations.”  Post your ideas there.  Make sure you check the box next to “Project Ideas” when you post.

Info on tech fairs is coming soon!

Readings for Monday

Hi class.  Remember to meet in the library today on the main floor, room 135 with Linda Rath.  I’ll be there as well.  The readings for Monday are Polluted Promises chapter 1 and 2.  I meant to assign a chapter from Noxious New York along with only one of these other chapters.  I’ll explain what happened next week.  For now, just focus on Polluted Promises and what we can learn about issues of environmental justice.

Reminder for Wed. & Thurs.

On Wednesday, we will be viewing part 3 of the series “Race: The Power of an Illusion.”  This last segment of the film is the most important piece.  It ties everything together.  On Thursday (Monday Schedule), we will be visiting the library.  Think about which neighborhood you would like to study using ethnographic and archival research methods.  Talk with your classmates who are interested in the same neighborhoods so that you might form a group.  We will be meeting with Linda Rath, Graduate Services Librarian in room 135 on the main floor of the library (NOT UPSTAIRS).   Here are Linda’s instructions: After entering the building, walk through the security turnstiles and make a right. Walk down the hall and room 135 will be on your right (room 135 is next to the ID Office).  Let’s hope the weather cooperates!

Readings

Some of you have had problems with opening the readings.  If that is the case, you can also access them from Blackboard.   Once you log into our course, you just need to click on “readings” on the left hand side of the page.

See you in class again!

Again I want to let you all know that I am at Baruch and class will proceed as scheduled.  As long as Baruch is open, I will be here.  If there is ever a situation that prevents me from arriving, I’ll send you an announcement ASAP.  Also, you can call the assistant in the Soc/Anthro department (Shelley Watson).  If I do not make it to class, I will call her as well.  My email (angie.beeman@gmail.com) which is listed on the syllabus is also a good way to reach me.  See you this afternoon!

New Reading on Neighbors and Neighboring

I posted a reading for those of you who have questions on what constitutes a neighborhood.  It’s called “Neighbors and Neighboring.”  See if the neighborhood/community you are thinking of studying fits some of the criteria the author lists.  This is not a required reading.  It’s a reference students can use for their projects.  I will also be posting some guidelines for your weekly presentations.  Stay tuned!