I think that speaking to the residents of Capitol Hall had the most impact for me. I arrived to the building earlier than my peers and I spent some time outside the building asking people nearby to confirm that I was at the correct location. A man who came out of Capitol Hall was kind enough to help me. I also noticed that the people who passed in and out of the building stopped and talked to each other — and even tried to include me in their friendly conversations about Starbucks and dogs. Both of the residents who I met inside were kind enough to share their stories and both of them expressed their thanks for a second chance. Their stories, attitudes, and views of Capitol Hall gives me the idea that the system at Capitol Hall is an effective one which can benefit the state and people facing homelessness.

After speaking with the people who own, manage, or live in the building, I was puzzled about why Capitol Hall wasn’t the norm. Like a classmate said, it seems so obvious that buildings like Capitol Hall which provide housing and social services can benefit New York State and people facing homelessness. Although we discussed the barriers that prevent Capitol Hall from being the norm, I don’t really accept them — they seem like an excuse. It was clear to me that if New Yorkers and politicians really wanted to alleviate homelessness in New York, then they would push for, and invest in, buildings such a Capitol Hall. In doing so, they would be investing in a more tolerant, supportive, and successful New York.

-Yashoma Boodhan