While searching for the Capitol Hall Residence, I was surprised at the lack of a sign or any other marker which indicated whether I was about to enter the correct building. Upon entering, the building’s interior beauty was even more surprising. With the preconception that this visit was to a homeless shelter, I had not anticipated such a “normal” looking building. However, after listening to the speakers for only a few minutes, I felt bad for having expected so little of the residence.

I have always felt that homelessness was a glaringly huge issue in New York City, but before this visit, I did not have any true insight into what homelessness really meant for the homeless, the non-homeless, and the community at large. The residents of Capitol Hall are mostly elderly, many receive public assistance, and some are even employed. These people are actively working to improve their lives – just like every other person throughout the city. They have experienced unfortunate circumstances which have left them incapable of securing housing on their own, but that should not define their character. The residents and staff we met were so kind, giving, and willing to share their experiences with us.

The existence of SRO’s provides people with the opportunity to improve their lives in the safety and privacy of their own space. Whether or not someone was homeless should not affect the living standards and amenities they get in their building. Of course they deserve a clean and safe building with TV’s, a patio, medical services, and privacy, why not? The accessibility of social services is vital for keeping the homeless off the streets during and after their time in an SRO. The stigma around homelessness needs to be put to rest; it can happen to anyone, and there needs to be a sustainable way to help people once it happens to them.

-Casey